Wednesday 22 December 2010

The Best River in the UK 2010

I love the River Wye, it was where I first went fishing for salmon, in the days when worming was allowed.  I love the size of this majestic river from deep pools to sparkling glides all within short stretches of each other.  As I matured so did my techniques and fishing the Wye with the fly is one of lifes great pleasures.  It is home to that 'little miracle herring' the Twaite Shad which still can occasionally be caught by accident, when salmon fishing, during late Spring and early Summer as they migrate upstream to breed.
Unfortunately the Wye is a shadow of its former self when it comes to salmon and without the very hard work of the Wye and Usk Foundation (http://www.wyeuskfoundation.org/) it is very possible that the salmon could have become extinct in once what was England's premier salmon river.
However the news isn't all bleak - mainly because of the work by the W&U Foundation and that the Wye has just won the 2010 award of best river in Engalnd and Wales from the Our Rivers organisation.
Have a look at this video on why the Wye and it also explains better than I can on why I love the Wye.

No comments: